Upon the student’s successful completion of the minimum requirements for the Associate in Arts degree, the University of South Florida (University/USF) will present the student who has properly made application with an appropriate Degree.
- To receive the Associate in Arts, the student must complete sixty (60) hours of university credit; at least twenty (20) of the last thirty (30) credit hours or a total of thirty-six (36) credit hours must be completed at USF. The minimum grade point average must be 2.00 based on work attempted at USF. In addition, a transfer student must have a GPA of 2.00 or higher when combined with transfer work accepted and evaluated by the USF Office of Admissions. Physical Education and military science credits do not count toward the Associate in Arts degree. All students must satisfy the General Education Requirements of USF and must satisfy the requirements listed in Florida Statutes Section 1007.25 and in State Board of Education Rule 6A-10.030, prior to receiving an Associate in Arts Certificate.
- Beginning with students initially entering a Florida College System institution or State University System institution in 2014-2015 and thereafter, coursework for an Associate in Arts degree shall include demonstration in competency in a foreign language pursuant to Florida Statute 1007.262 (Also known as USF’s FLENT requirement).
- In order to receive an Associate in Arts degree, students must submit a graduation application prior to the application deadline. The deadline to apply in each semester is stated in the Academic Calendar in the catalog. The graduation application is available online in OASIS.
- The Associate in Arts degree must be awarded prior to the term that the student becomes eligible for the baccalaureate degree.
- Final processing for the Associate in Arts will be done after grades are processed at the end of the semester for which the student applied. All work, including transfer work, taken in that semester will be evaluated with respect to the requirements for the Associate in Arts degree.
- Any incomplete grades shown on the permanent record of an Associate in Arts applicant at the time grades are processed will be treated as an “F” in the calculation of grade point average. Transfer students who completed a substantial portion of the Associate in Arts degree requirements at another institution in the Florida College System will be encouraged to notify that institution of the additional USF credits that may be transferred to that institution towards conferral of that degree. If the former institution will not confer the Associate in Arts degree with the addition of USF transfer credits, but is eligible for the Associate in Arts degree at USF, then the USF institution will confer the Associate in Arts.
- The General Education Requirements will be based on the approved University policy in effect in the catalog year the student chooses according to the University policy regarding the choice of catalog. The consideration of whether or not General Education Requirements are met will be made without consideration of the student’s choice of major at the time he/she applies.
- University of South Florida credit hours will be broadly defined to include USF sponsored student exchange programs and the University of Florida Correspondence Division. The grades from these institutions, (except those earned through the University of Florida Correspondence Division) are recorded on the permanent record at USF, and included in the grade point average calculation, and will be counted in the student’s grade point average as work attempted at USF for the Associate in Arts degree.
- An applicant who has not been enrolled at USF for three (3) semesters may be contacted to ascertain whether or not that applicant meets the residency requirements.
- In approving any application for the Associate in Arts degree, satisfactory/unsatisfactory grades will be accepted according to the approved University policy in effect during the terms of the student’s enrollment without regard for the student’s declared major. Students must be aware that if they have taken any courses on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis where such grades are not acceptable by the college of the major, the students may be required to repeat particular courses for a traditional letter grade or take additional courses for a traditional letter grade to meet the college requirements.
- All University of South Florida colleges with undergraduate programs will accept the Associate in Arts from USF. That is, the student will be placed, at least, at the junior level and will be considered to have met the University’s General Education Requirements. The applicability of the courses taken by the student toward his/her major program will be determined by the college of the student’s major. Similarly, any special requirements for a student’s professional certification (e.g., Education and Engineering) are not necessarily met by the Associate in Arts Certificate, but could be included as part of the General Education Requirements. Thus, students should check with their colleges concerning meeting any special requirements in an efficient manner.
- The awarding of the Associate in Arts degree is posted on the permanent record but does not alter the calculation of the grade point average nor does it interrupt the accumulation of the student’s record.
- Students who follow a baccalaureate degree program as recommended by a college will not necessarily be eligible for the Associate in Arts degree prior to the completion of ninety (90) credit hours.
Specific Authority 1001.74, 1001.75, 1007.25, FS., Art. IX, Fla. Constitution and Resolutions issued by the FL Board of Governors. Law Implemented 1007.23, 1007.25 FS.
History – New (BOT approval) 4-19-90, Amended 8-19-90, 10-27-92, 9-19-93, formerly 6C4-3.019 F.A.C., Amended 7-27-07, 11-25-15 (technical), 5-31-16 (technical).